Until official Windows 8 drivers and software are released for the ScanSnap fi-5110EXO2 and S500 scanners, you can use the steps documented below as a workaround to get full scanning capabilities in both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 8 and 8.1.
Firstly, we need to download the software from Fujitsu's website.
The following links are for files needed for the fi-5110eox2:
Now install the software:
- Ensure that the scanner is turned off and the lid closed.
- Run ScanSnap Manager setup program (ssv31l12W.exe) which will extract the software to a subdirectory. Once extracted, navigate into the directory and run Setup.exe to install ScanSnap Manager.
- Reboot - Ignore the errors reported when windows starts.
- Now for the crucial step - you need to run the ScanSnap Update in Compatibility mode as follows:
- Right click on ssv31l20up2.exe and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility" from the context menu.
- Click "Troubleshoot program"
- Select "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" and click Next
- Select "Windows 7" and click Next
- Click Test the program and the installer will run.
- After finishing the installation, choose "Yes, save these settings for this program"
- Click Close
The screenshots below walk you through this in more detail
Finally, turn on your ScanSnap fi-5110EXO2 scanner and it will be detected correctly.
PS. Please leave a comment below If you try this installation guide for other older ScanSnap scanners and find that it is successful and I'll update the article.